Northamptonshire's coaching and volunteering workforce lacks diversity and is not reflective of the least active communities we need to engage. There are fewer women, a smaller proportion of people from Black and Minority Ethnic (BAME) communities, and fewer individuals with a limiting disability or from lower socio-economics groups involved in the workforce.
Developing a more diverse workforce is a key priority for the county, as identified in the Northamptonshire Workforce Plan: Building a Workforce for a More Active Northamptonshire 2019 - 21
Through Sport England Investment, Northamptonshire Sport has launched a new Diversity Workforce Fund to support organisations in Northamptonshire develop a more diverse coaching and volunteer workforce.
Who can apply?
Any organisation in Northamptonshire who is planning to recruit or upskill a diverse coaching or volunteer workforce from under-represented groups.
Under-represented groups includes, women and individuals from the following groups; black and minority ethnic, lower socio-economic, disabled/limiting disability, aged 65 years plus and/or living with a mental health condition.
We welcome applications from organisations that can demonstrate that they will impact on participation levels among adult beginners and the least-active communities including those with limiting disabilities and from lower socio-economic groups.
Example organisations include; NGB's, sports clubs, district and borough council's, trusts, community organisations, charities and other third sector and not-for-profit organisations.
Who cannot apply?
- Private sector or commercial organisations
- Organisations outside Northamptonshire
Diversity Fund outcomes
- A more diverse and inclusive workforce is created and developed through a targeted approach and partnership working.
- Knowledge, skills, policies and practices are improved in order to address inequalities, barriers or challenges for under-represented groups.
What will the fund support?
The fund will part-fund a project that includes:
- Education and training to up-skill volunteers and coaches as sport & physical activity coaches, activators & leaders (including tutor costs, resources, venue hire etc)
- Innovative recruitment strategies
- Targeted marketing and promotion
- Mentoring support and ongoing development
- A new initiative working with a range of partners to reach the target audience and engage them in volunteering or coaching
How much can an organisation apply for?
One-off grants of up to £500 per organisation are available through the fund per financial year. Organisations do not have to provide partnership funding, but they will need to demonstrate 'In-Kind' contribution towards the project and value for money.
- An independent panel will meet within 2 weeks of the closing date of each round.
- Each application will be scored based on the quality of application and the aims and objective's of the Diversity Workforce Funding .
- Applicants will receive email correspondence notifying them of the panel decision.
- If successful, further information about how to claim and provide monitoring will be sent out in due course.
Applications for the Workforce Diversity Fund are open from October 26th to December 3rd 2020.
Applications must be received prior to the start of courses. For example, if your coaches and volunteers are attending a course on 7th November your application must be received before 7th November
If you are interested in coaching or leading younger people aged 14-19 , take a look at our Satellite Club's pages to find out about additional project support on offer.