Understanding people with Limiting Disabilities
Getting this group active and getting this group activating
- Sport England Active People Survey disability APS10 fact sheet Published by Sport England and EFDS
- Sport England - Mapping Disability
- EFDS 'Me Being Active' videos about people with disabilities being active - understanding motivations
UK Coaching provide a host of useful resources around supporting groups into becoming activators and coaches. Those related to people with limiting illnesses or disabilities can be found here.
- Encouraging more disabled people to volunteer in sport: Published by Revealing Reality, EFDS, Sport England and NDSOs
Getting the right people
- Peer Empowerment Model
- Peer Empowerment Model (PDF, 317 Kb)
How do we make it easier for people to get into coaching or activating? One of the common barriers we have found is access to funding for qualifications. Whilst there isn't a lot around at the moment, some National Governing Bodies of Sport are still offering support. Please see the document below:
Looking after people
As you will see from the research below, a quarter of disabled coaches do not feel supported at all compared with the national average of 14%. so it is even more integral to your project, should this be your target audience that you plan to include an appropriate support mechanism for your workforce.
This paper outlines not only who your coaching workforce may be, but also the most popular ways to access CPD and who they are likely to be coaching.
- Disabled Coaches Research (PDF, 253 Kb)