The Diversity Workforce Fund
Northamptonshire's coaching workforce lacks diversity and is not reflective of the least active communities we need to engage. There are fewer women, a smaller proportion of people from Black and Ethnic Minority (BAEM) communities, and fewer individuals with a limiting disability or from lower socio-economics groups involved in the coaching workforce.
Similarly, the volunteer workforce also lacks diversity and equality; with more males volunteering compared to females. Similarly there are less people with a disability or impairment volunteering and very few from BAEM communities or lower socio-economic groups. This means that women, disabled people and people from lower socio-economic groups and BAEM communities are less likely to be aware of and experience the benefits of being a volunteer in sport, despite having the most to gain from volunteering in sport.
Developing a more diverse workforce is a key priority for the county, as identified in the Northamptonshire Workforce Plan: Building a Workforce for a More Active Northamptonshire 2019 - 21
Through Sport England Investment, Northamptonshire Sport has launched a new Diversity Workforce Fund to support organisations in Northamptonshire develop a more diverse coaching and volunteer workforce.
From July 2019 - 31 March 2021, grants of up to £500 are available to support organisations who want to attract more people from under-represented groups into coaching or volunteering
Under-represented groups includes: women and individuals from the following groups, black and ethnic minority, lower socio-economic, disabled/limiting disability, those aged 65years plus.
Who can apply to the Diversity Fund support?
Any organisation in Northamptonshire who is planning to recruit or upskill a diverse coaching or volunteer workforce that will impact on participation levels in sport and physical activity.
This may include; NGB's, sports clubs, district and borough council's, trusts, community organisations, charities and other third sector and not-for-profit organisations
Who cannot apply?
- Private sector or commercial organisations
- Organisations outside Northamptonshire
Diversity Fund Outcomes
- A more diverse and inclusive workforce is created and developed through a targeted approach and partnership working
- Volunteer opportunities are accessible to all sectors of the community, specifically under-represented groups.
- Knowledge, skills, policies and practices are improved in order to address inequalities, barriers or challenges for under-represented groups.
What will the Diversity Fund support?
The fund will support any initiative that will meet the outcomes of the Fund, and specifically help to create a more diverse coaching and volunteer workforce (including volunteers in clubs) working in the sport and physical activity sector. The fund will part-fund a project that includes any of the following:
- Innovative recruitment strategies
- Education and training (including tutor costs, resources, venue hire etc)
- Targeted marketing and promotion
- Mentoring support and ongoing development
- A new initiative working with a range of partners to reach the target audience and engage them in volunteering or coaching
How much can an organisation apply for?
One off grants of up to £500 per organisation are available through the fund.
Is partnership funding required?
Organisations do not have to provide partnership funding, but they will need to demonstrate 'In-Kind' contribution towards the project and value for money.
Terms and conditions of the Diversity Fund
- In return for any investment organisations will be required to complete a short monitoring and evaluation report and provide at least one case study / testimonial demonstrating the impact of the funding.
- 50% of the agreed allocated fund will be awarded to the project at the start, with the remaining 50% of fund on completion and submission of the monitoring and evaluation report and case study.
- The window for applications will open July 2019 – 1 December 2019 and April 2020 – 1 December 2020.
- Receipt of your application will be acknowledged by email and any queries raised before submitting the application.
- Decisions on successful applications will be made within 1 month from the receipt of the application.
- The programme will need to be completed within 12 months from the date the applicant is notified of the successful application. There can be some flexibility with this, but early notification needs of the delay needs to be submitted to Northamptonshire Sport via email@example.com
- Funds are paid to the organisation by a BACS transfer.