Please note: that although we do regular water testing to ensure the lakes are safe to swim in, you may encounter microorganisms in open water that are not found in pools. Although many experience no reaction to these, some do. This is a risk of open water swimming and we are unable to refund swimmers who experience a reaction.
We recommend booking a small number of swims at a time to allow you to acclimatise to the open water, before booking weeks in advance. Outdoor Swimmer has some great advice on best practice to try and avoid reactions, that can be found here.
Open Water Swimming @ Sywell
Held at Sywell Country Park, Washbrook Lane, Ecton, Northampton NN6 0QX - Directions
Saturday morning Swims will commence from 08:00 to 11:00. This will be made up from 3 time slots starting at 08:00 / 09:00 / 10:00
Wednesday evening Swims will commence from 18:00 to 19:30. This will be made up from 2 time slots starting at 18:00 & 18:45
The course is a 500 metre rectangle, there is also a shorter inner rectangle of 250 metres
Register & Book:
Each session is £3 and there is a £0.50 online booking fee
The minimum age for swimmers is 8, children between 8 and 12 must be accompanied by a competent adult. Depending on conditions or the assessed competence of the young Swimmer the swim may refuse access to the lake.
Please be aware except in exceptional circumstances bookings are non refundable, you are able to cancel bookings and receive a credit (as long as this is done before 6pm the Monday before for a Wednesday swim and 6pm on the Thursday before for a Saturday swim.) to your account to use on another occasion.
Please note, the booking does not include car parking this must be paid for separately on the day or season ticket options are available.
- Daily parking costs - The daily cost to park at each of the country parks is £3.20 in coins for up to 4 hours or £5.20 for up to 8 hours or £7.20 for up to 12 hours.
- Annual parking passes - Covering all five parks. £51.50
- Annual parking passes - Parking in one named park. £38
Apply for Country Parks Parking Pass - You can apply for an annual car park pass online or renew your current pass.
What to Wear:
Please make sure you remember your goggles, brightly coloured swim hat and if you are swimming without a wetsuit - your tow float.
There will be limited kit for sale such as tow floats but due to the current situation we will not be hiring out wetsuits – we will update you as soon as this changes
You will only be permitted to swim in the time slot you have booked for and if you have not booked in advance you will not be permitted to swim, there are no exceptions.
- Swimmers must at all times maintain social distancing, at the start of the session, time slot 1, Swimmers will be invited to queue to swim from the swim entry point.
- Every 15 seconds a Swimmer will be invited forward and at this point they must quote their name.
- 10 minutes before the end of the Saturday swim session, no new laps will be allowed to start which will be controlled by a kayak or the powered craft, there will also be a sound signal to warn of the session close. At this point all swimmers must complete the lap they are on and return to the shore. As soon as is practical swimmers will be requested to vacate the swim mustering, entry and exit points.
- At the allotted time, the swimmers in time slot 2 will start the process of logging with the Swim Director and starting their Swim.
- For time slot 3 the processes for slots 1 and 2 will be repeated
- Each Swim Slot will to be reconciled before the subsequent session completes.
Want to get involved?
We are always on the lookout for new volunteers and by getting involved you could earn yourself a free swim, please click here for more details.