Adults should do some type of physical activity every day. Any type of activity is good for you. The more you do the better.
- do strengthening activities that work all the major muscles (legs, hips, back, abdomen, chest, shoulders and arms) on at least 2 days a week (e.g.: resistance training, Yoga, carrying heavy shopping, heavy gardening)
- do at least 150 minutes of moderate intensity activity a week or 75 minutes of vigorous intensity activity a week (e.g.: brisk walking, cycling, swimming, dancing)
- reduce time spent sitting or lying down and break up long periods of not moving with some activity.
You can also achieve your weekly activity target with:
- several short sessions of very vigorous intensity activity
- a mix of moderate, vigorous and very vigorous intensity activity