Workplace health makes good business sense!
Most people in employment spend 60 percent of their waking hours in work, so healthy habits in the workplace can make a big impact on employee wellbeing. We're all responsible for the lifestyle choices we make, but employers can make healthy choices easier for their staff.
Evidence reveals an unhealthy and unhappy workforce is costly:
- Each year 140 million working days are lost to sickness absence in the UK, costing UK businesses an estimated £29billion.
- Presenteeism – attending work while sick – is valued at an average cost to employers of £605 per employee per year, due to reduced productivity.
- The financial cost to British business of mental ill health is estimated at £26billion per year.
- Smokers sick leave and smoking breaks are estimated to cost UK business £8.7billion per year.
- High staff turnover can incur huge recruitment and training costs, on top of lost revenue while new employees reach full productivity.
The Benefits of Investing in Workplace Health
Businesses who invest a successful Workplace Health programme have the potential to see a return on investment of between £2 and £34 for every £1 spent. In addition to this research has shown that:
- A well designed wellbeing programme can increase job satisfaction and reduce staff turnover by 10-25% which could save a company with 200 employees circa £22k per annum
- A more physically active can reduce sickness absence by up to 20 per cent. For a company with 200 employees this equates to a potential saving of circa £25k per annum.
Has your business got the winning formula?
Evidence shows that people who are more physically active are healthier and happier. This means people taking fewer sick days, being more motivated and being more productive at work.
A business culture of support and flexibility, healthy adaptations to the workplace, and on-site wellbeing activities all encourage your workforce to take positive steps for healthy living.
Visit our Active Workplace section to see how we can support your business or workplace create an active healthy workplace.
Northamptonshire Healthier Workplace
The Northamptonshire Health and Wellbeing Board has resolved to work with all employers in the county to create an ambitious strategy to improve the health and wellbeing of the county's entire workforce. Click here to find out more
Sport & Physical Activity Manager
- 01604 366455