The aim of the Couch to Coach scheme is to develop a broader and more diverse workforce by up-skilling coaches from under-represented groups. We also want to find coaches that can really engage with the least active communities and beginners from priority groups* which is key priority outlined in the Northamptonshire Workforce Plan: Building a Workforce for a More Active Northamptonshire 2019 – 21
Under-represented groups includes; Those not in Education, Employment, or Training (NEET), Diverse Ethnic Communities, lower socio-economic groups, disabled/limiting illness and those aged 60 years plus.
*Priority target groups includes: Diverse ethnic communities, inactive adults, people with limiting disabilities and people from lower socio-economic group
Who will Couch to Coach Fund?
- Coaches, leaders, volunteers, activators who are from an under-represented group themselves
- Coaches, leaders, volunteers, activators who are delivering to participants from an under-represented group
- Coaches, leaders, volunteers, activators delivering physical activity sessions to those that are new to the sport/activity
Who can apply?
Applications are welcome from paid or volunteer coaches aged 16+ who are actively, or are planning to, provide coaching opportunities for people to be more active within the county.
Who cannot apply?
- Officials, such as umpires, referees & judges
- Commercial Enterprises, such as coaching agencies.
- Those living outside Northamptonshire
- Coaches wishing to attend NGB courses at Level 3 or above
What and how much can you apply for?
- Applications for Activator, Leadership, Exercise Instructor, and NGB Level 1 and Level 2 Coaching Courses.
- Individuals can apply for one award per financial year (Up until 31st March 2022).
- NGB Level 2 courses will be funded at 50%, maximum £300 per applicant. For all other eligible courses the bursary will pay up to 75% of the course cost to a maximum of £300 per applicant, at the discretion of the panel.
- Applications (Expression of Interest) must be received prior to the start date of the qualification or course.
- No applications will be considered retrospectively i.e.: You can not apply once you have started your course
- Your course must have a confirmed start date & venue (online courses are allowed)
- Following your expression of interest, you will then have an informal phone conversation with a member of the Northamptonshire Sport team. Those who meet our criteria will be invited to fill out a full application that will be passed onto our panel for decision.
- The independent panel will meet within 2 weeks of the closing date of each round.
- Each application will be scored based on the quality of application on meeting the aims and objectives of the scheme. Additional support in completing the application will be provided for those who need it.
- Applicants will receive email correspondence notifying them of the panel decision.
- If successful, further information about how to claim and provide monitoring will be sent out in due course.
- Funding is limited, and the panel will choose the best applicants from each round of applications.
Applications for the Couch to Coach scheme are now CLOSED. Please keep an eye on our social media pages & newsletters for the dates of the next round in 2022.
For further information about Couch to Coach, please contact:
School Sports Development Officer & Workforce Development Officer
In my role as School Sports Development Officer I facilitate School Games events and leadership opportunities for schools in the Northampton School Sports Partnership. In addition, I work as a Workforce Development Officer, where I lead on tasks related to volunteering & coaching
- 07921 092801