Inspiring Bursary Scheme
What is the aim of the scheme?
The aim of the INSPIRING Bursary Scheme is to develop a broader and more diverse workforce by up-skilling coaches from under-represented groups. We also want to find coaches that can really engage with the least active communities and beginners from priority groups* which is key priority outlined in the Northamptonshire Workforce Plan: Building a Workforce for a More Active Northamptonshire 2019 – 21.
Under-represented groups includes, women and individuals from the following groups; black and minority ethnic, lower socio-economic, disabled/limiting disability, those aged 65 years plus.
*Priority target groups includes: inactive adults and people with limiting disabilities and people from lower socio-economic groups
Who will the INSPIRING Bursary Scheme fund?
- Coaches, leaders, volunteers, activators who are from an under-represented group themselves or are delivering to adult participants from an under-represented group .
- Coaches, leaders, volunteers, activators delivering physical activity sessions to adults that are new to the sport/activity and the priority target groups.
Who can apply?
Applications are welcome from paid coaches or volunteers aged 16+ who are actively, or are planning to coach within the county.
Who cannot apply?
- Officials such as umpires, referees & judges.
- Non Northamptonshire residents.
What can you apply for?
- Applications for Activator, Leadership, Exercise Instructor, and NGB Level 1 and Level 2 Coaching Courses.
- Individuals can apply for one award per financial year (Up until 31st March 2020).
How much can you apply for?
The bursary will pay up to 75% of the course cost to a maximum of £300 per applicant, at the discretion of the panel. We will only fund applicants from one club or organisation within a 12 month period.
What is required in your application?
- Applications must be received prior to the start date of the qualification / course. Retrospective applications will not be considered.
- The application must be supported by a reference. The referee can be from a NGB, local authority or key representative from the third sector.
- Include any travel and/or accommodation costs in the application. Mileage is calculated at 20 pence per mile. This will not be funded but is used to assist the panel with the application decision.
What happens once you submit your application?
- An independent panel will meet within 2 weeks of the closing date of each round.
- Each application will be scored based on the quality of application and the aims and objective's of the INSPIRING bursary .
- Applicants will receive email correspondence notifying them of the panel decision.
- If successful, further information about how to claim and provide monitoring will be sent out in due course.
Take a look at our example Inspiring Bursary Form below to help you as a guide.
- Example of a completed Inspiring Bursary Form (PDF, 11 Kb)
Dates for applications are as follows:
Round 1 : Closes on Sunday 15th September 2019
Round 2 : Closes on Sunday 1st December 2019
Round 3: Closes on Sunday 15th March 2020
Applications must be received prior to the start of the course.
If you are interested in coaching or leading younger people aged 14-19 , take a look at our Satellite Club's pages to find out about additional project support on offer.