What is the INSPIRING Bursary Scheme?
A funding scheme to support and upskill volunteers and coaches to help them progress their leadership and coaching qualifications.
What is the aim of the scheme?
The aim of the INSPIRING Bursary Scheme is to develop a broader and more diverse workforce that better reflects the least active communities we need to engage in physical activity. Through the programme our aim is to encourage more people from under-represented groups and diverse communities to get involved in coaching or volunteering, which is key priority outlined in the Northamptonshire Workforce Plan: Building a Workforce for a More Active Northamptonshire 2019 – 21.
Through Sport England investment, Northamptonshire Sport is able to award a number of bursaries to support individuals from under-represented groups to start coaching or obtain their next coaching award. The fund will also support applications from individuals who intend to engage and work
Under-represented groups includes, women and individuals from the following groups; black and ethnic minority, lower socio-economic, disabled/limiting disability, those aged 65 years plus.
*Priority target groups includes: people with limiting disabilities and people from lower socio-economic groups
Who will the INSPIRING Bursary Scheme fund?
- Coaches, leaders or volunteers working with an under-represented group, or who are from an under-represented group themselves.
- Coaches, leaders or volunteers delivering physical activity sessions to physically inactive groups and particularly the priority target groups.
Who can apply?
Applications are welcome from:
- Paid coaches or volunteers aged 16+ who are actively coaching within the county.
Who cannot apply?
- Officials such as umpires, referees & judges.
- Non Northamptonshire residents
What can you apply for?
- Applications for Activator, Leadership, Exercise Instructor, and NGB Level 1 and Level 2 Coaching Courses.
- Individuals can apply for one award per financial year (April to March).
How much can you apply for?
The bursary will pay up to 75 of the course cost to a maximum of £300 per applicant, at the discretion of the panel. We will only fund applicants from one club or organisation within a 12 month period.
What is required in your application?
- Applications must be received prior to the start date of the qualification / course. Retrospective applications will not be considered.
- The applicant must complete the supporting statement (see online application form)
- The application must be supported by a reference. The referee can be from a NGB, local authority or key representative from the third sector.
- Include any travel and/or accommodation costs in the application. Mileage is calculated at 20 pence per mile. This will not be funded but is used to assist the panel with the application decision.