PE & School Sport Premium
When reporting on the use of the funding, maintained schools, including those that convert to academies must publish information about their use of the premium on the schools' website including the minimum information:
- the amount of premium funding received;
- a full breakdown of how the funding has been spent (or will be spent);
- what impact the school has seen on pupils' PE and sport participation and attainment and how these improvements will be sustainable in the future.
The Youth Sport Trust (YST) and the Association for Physical Education (afPE) have collaboratively produced new guidance and a template to support schools in evidencing the impact of the Primary PE and Sport Premium and this can be found at:
Funding is allocated through a lump sum (£8,000) for each school and an additional amount per pupil on the school roll over 17 students. A typical Primary School with 250 pupils will receive around £9,250 per year. This funding is allocated directly to Primary School Head Teachers who can decide how they use the funding to increase the provision for PE and School Sport.
- The funding is to be used for PE and School Sport (Incorporating Health and Active Lifestyle programmes).
- It is ring-fenced (to be used only for PE and school sport).
- Subject to OFSTED framework and review-some schools in Northamptonshire have received a full half day inspection on the provision for PE and Sport already.
- Funding will be included in the Additional Grant for Schools (AGS) and there are conditions attached to the grant, i.e. PE and Sport Action Plan to be published on the schools' website by 4th April 2014.
- A different funding mechanism exists for academy schools.
- Eligible special schools will receive their funding directly from the Department's
special education needs and disability division.
Some examples of spending are listed below:
- Hiring Specialist PE teachers or qualified Sports Coaches to work with teachers during PE lessons
- Support to involve the least active children by running after-school Sports Clubs and holiday clubs, e.g. the Change4Life clubs
- Resources and training courses for staff and teachers
- Increased provision for pupils to participate in the School Games
- Intra-School and Inter-School Competition
Effective Employment and Deployment of Coaches
Best practice guidance on the effective use of individual and agency coaches in Physical Education and Sport (PES).
The Association for Physical Education (afPE) has produced the following concise guidance for head teachers and other leadership staff responsible for deploying visiting support
staff within physical education and sport (PES).
This guidance is available on the afPE website www.afpe.org.uk and on pages 66-69 in Safe Practice in Physical Education and Sport, 2012 (afPE/Coachwise Ltd). It has been updated in line with a Supreme Court decision in 2013, the development of afPE/1st4 Sport's Level 2 and3 Coaching Award in Supporting Physical Education and School Sport and recent safe practice developments, including managing suspected concussion situations. Full details on the link below.
Association for Physical Education (AfPE)
The Association for Physical Education (afPE) is the only Physical Education subject association in the UK.
We are committed to being the representative organisation of choice for people and organisations delivering or supporting the delivery of Physical Education in schools and in the wider community.
Click here for the AFPE website for resources and guidance notes
Click here for the Evidencing Impact and Accountability template
- Click here for Northants Membership Offer Application Form (MS Word, 57 Kb)
Northants SSM’s have been working with the Youth Sport Trust so that ALL schools in Northamptonshire have the opportunity to access the benefits and support that the Youth Sport Trust can offer. Through partnership working we are able to offer schools a significant discount on Membership total cost being £240 for the year instead of £300 which includes all the benefits below:
Sports Coach UK
For more information on anything relating to PE and the School Sport Premium, please contact Steve Jones
School Sport Manager
- John Dryden House
8-10 The Lakes