Between 2013-2016 Sport England has been working in partnership with national governing bodies of sport (NGBs) and county sport partnerships (CSPs) by investing over £49 million of Lottery funding into the development of Satellite Clubs.
Satellite Clubs are outposts of existing community sports clubs, which have been based on school or college sites, and have helped us to get more young people playing sport and to make the transition from school to community sport.
We've had some great success stories over the first three years in a whole hosts of sports and we are looking to ensure we can sustain these for the future.
From April 2016-17, Sport England's Satellite Club programme is changing the approach to the way that Satellite Club development is supported.
2016-2017 will continue to focus on changing young people's sporting behaviour from being irregularly active to becoming consistently active, helping to create a lifelong sporting habit. However, there will be a focus on the following delivery areas:
- Sustaining Satellite Clubs that have been established between 2013-16,
- Developing new Satellite Clubs for underrepresented groups in sport including females, disabled young people, young people in black and ethnic minority (BME) groups , young people from disadvantaged communities and;
- Irregularly active young people aged 14-25.
We can support your club in setting up a satellite club on a secondary school/college site by supporting with funding to :
- Purchase a set of start up equipment needed to run the club at the new site
- Pay the coaches time for a period of at least 10 weeks to help get the project launched
- Fund a Sporting Champion to come and visit the club and help with the launch of the club.
- Fund the venue hire associated with starting up the club for at least 10 weeks to help the club become sustainable
- Fund coaching/leadership qualifications to enable the club to deliver in more location.
- Fund the marketing and promotional material for the new sessions
To find out more about Satellite Clubs funding contact:
Club Link Maker
- 01604 366215
Useful links & documents for developing Satellite Clubs:
- Youth Insight- Under your Skin (PDF, 6.9 Mb)
This new wave of research builds on the youth insight published in 2014 and delves into the personalities, behaviours, attitudes and aspirations of young people.
'Under the Skin' breaks down young people into six key personas. Only by understanding these various groups can we design the best possible programmes to get young people active.
- Sport England Youth Insights Pack 2014 (PDF, 2.2 Mb)
A 2014 Sport England review into young people's lives found sport needs to adapt how it presents itself to broaden its reach and increase the proportion of young people regularly participating.
If you're trying to increase your engagement with young people then download and read the full Insight Pack
Making sessions UNMISSABLE for Young People
sports coach UK and Sport England, have created a short animation and accompanying support guide for coaches to generate ideas for their sessions. 'What makes your session UNMISSABLE for young people' draws on recent research and contains fun ideas and tips for planning sessions.
It is the first in a series of three animations encouraging coaches to think about the needs and demands of young people.Tell sports coach UK how you have made your session unmissable using #UnmissableSport on Twitter.
- Helping Women & Girls Get Active Practical Guide Aug 15 (PDF, 6.1 Mb)
A useful guide for engaging women and girls get active and engaged with sport and physical activity